Employment & Education Programs
Having a job or being in school is possible with the right supports.
An award-winning nonprofit center of psychiatric rehabilitation for people living with mental illness.
• Mental illness touches the lives of one in four people. Severe mental illness occurs in 8% of
• Less than half get treatment.
• Treatment primary consists of medication. There are rarely services to support psychiatric
rehabilitation and community reintegration.
• This results in the tragic outcome of at least 1/3 of the homeless and 1/3 of those incarcerated
are people living with mental illness.
• Estimates range from 46% (NAMI) to 90% (WHO) of suicide is committed by people living with mental illness.
A CRUCIAL MISSING PIECE OF THE SOLUTION
• Magnolia Clubhouse, a community of growth, hope and opportunity, has served Cuyahoga
County residents since 1961 providing effective treatment for mental illness.
• The Clubhouse is operated by its members in partnership with mental health professionals and comprehensively supports employment, education, advocacy, health and wellness.
• The Clubhouse also offers psychiatric services and primary care at an onsite clinic, for holistic and comprehensive integration.
• The Clubhouse Model is a cost-effective and cost beneficial evidence based best practice for promoting independence and self-sufficiency for people who live with mental illness.
• A year at the Clubhouse costs less than a week in the hospital.
• Research demonstrates Clubhouse members have reduced rates of hospitalization and
• Research demonstrates employment rates for Clubhouse members are 5 times higher than the national average for those who live with mental illness.
THE CLUBHOUSE MODEL IN OHIO
• There are 2 other Clubhouses in the Ohio, one in Dayton and one in Columbus, nurtured by Magnolia Clubhouse.
• In March of 2022, the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services funded
Magnolia Clubhouse to provide technical assistance and provided $2.5M in start-up funding for 7 new Clubhouses across Ohio. The current proposed budget by the department includes an additional $2.5M to start up more Clubhouses.
• The Governor of Ohio is highly supportive of expanding effective and innovative community
supports such as those provided by the Clubhouse model.
• Case Western Reserve University is engaged in new research with Magnolia Clubhouse to
further demonstrate the effectiveness of the Clubhouse model.
• The Clubhouse is also engaged in advocacy for a "Care Response", a mental health based
response to mental health treatment. Mayor Justin Bibb of Cleveland supports Care
Response. Cuyahoga County Executive Chris Ronayne supports "Care Response" and the
• Senator Sherrod Brown has supported policy reform to improve the circumstances for people living with mental illness including language for appropriations to include psychosocial rehabilitation such as that provided by the Clubhouse model which was introduced by Magnolia Clubhouse in affiliation with Fountain House (the founder of the model since 1948 in NYC). Senator Brown also supports Care Response.
• The Alcohol Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board of Cuyahoga County has been a longtime supporter and funder of Magnolia Clubhouse.
• Community mental health centers refer to and strongly support Magnolia Clubhouse, as do
hospitals, adult care facilities and NAMI both locally and across Ohio.
An award-winning nonprofit center of psychiatric rehabilitation for people living with mental illness Magnolia Clubhouse has completed $4M in phases of a project to expand, renovate and improve the facilities. Includes a commercial kitchen, onsite clinic, site work and total renovation .
An additional $3.5M is needed to complete the final phase of the project:
Contact Info: Lori D’Angelo, Ph.D., Executive Director
11101 Magnolia Drive, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
(216) 721-3030 ext. 133- firstname.lastname@example.org- www.magnoliaclubhouse.org
Join the Club!
1 of 22