The Clubhouse Model
Magnolia Clubhouse is an innovative and award-winning program of psychosocial rehabilitation and reintegration for people who live with mental illness, based on the model begun by Fountain House in 1948, in New York City.
Magnolia Clubhouse is a community which creates opportunities for people who experience serious and prolonged mental illness. The Clubhouse promotes vocational, educational, social and personal achievements by providing opportunity, support and hope.
The Clubhouse is founded on the philosophy that meaningful work with others is rehabilitative. The members of the club conduct all aspects of the Clubhouse operation in partnership with the staff. The core of the Clubhouse is the community, where relationships are built on a shared purpose.
The comprehensive work of the Clubhouse includes supporting employment, education, wellness and advocacy to improve the quality of people’s lives.
The Clubhouse is a place of belonging, friendship and support, where members are needed and empowered. The holistic approach of the Clubhouse model ensures that all the needs of its membership are met.
The International Clubhouse network, organized by the International Center for Clubhouse Development includes 330 communities in 27 countries. The model is a research-based best practice (see – Evidence-Based Best Practice: Clubhouse Model Research), is standardized, has a certification process and 11 training bases around the world.
ICCD Clubhouses are:
- Holistic – offering members opportunities for friendship, employment and education, and access to quality housing, medical and psychiatric services in a single caring and safe environment.
- Inclusive — allowing members to meet and follow the example of others who are achieving their aspirations and goals.
- Sustaining — helping members become productive members of society over the course of their lives.
- Responsive — dedicated to continuous improvement based on direct feedback from members.
- Cost-Effective – providing members, families and communities significantly more value for money than other approaches.